Wednesday 13 August 2008

2008/9 - The Disaster Begins.

Right....

Despite my worst ever Fantasy League season last year, I'm back to give it another go, and lo and behold, due to more dropouts than the GB road race cycling team at the Olympics (men), I have been promoted.

So we went through the new auction process, which was a complete load of old crap. People went off like nutters, the rest felt compelled to follow or else they'd be landed with a team that looked a lot like mine last season, and it resulted in each of the managers basically going through a draft rather than an auction at the end. Instead of an auction, it became more like a pick up game of football. The last bloke I picked up was Kevin Davies. Speaks volumes.

Anyway to analyse my outfit...

Goalkeeper - Tim Howard - probably not going to be as good this season - his team has a lot of bad vibes around it. But he cost nothing.

Full Backs - Evra is among the best there is, and Shorey is mid-range calibre, with a bit of attacking intent. They'll not let me down like Ashley Cole and Gary Neville last season.

Centre-Backs - Kolo Toure is one of my retreads from last season, and he won't have the African Nations Cup in the way this time around. Rio Ferdinand is as good as it gets (alongside the War Criminal) and Zat Knight is a pretty laughable back-up if he does not play. Compared to the missing link that was my second centre-back last season, this, again, will do.

Midfield - I am on a wing and a prayer here. Deco is the sort of player I despise, but he could do anything - be a dead loss or a big scorer. Phil likes him. Elano caught people by surprise and he is now a known quantity. Nani is going to come on a bit, so I like this pick up. Who knows how much Ryan Babel will play? Rosicky will be handy when he's back to fitness. Damien Duff can't be anywhere near as bad as last season, can he? How I go is how the midfield goes.

Strikers - Roque Santa Cruz won't get the same amount of points, but he's "their man". Robbie Keane is going to cause me squad rotation nightmares. Afonso Alves could be the surprise or a dud, who the hell knows? Bojinov scored against AC Milan for Manchester City - that's the basis on which I picked him up at the end. Kevin Davies is playing for a relegation candidate. Lord knows what he'll do. Viduka is currently injured, and I'll carry him for a month or so before I see what is happening. He's decent when fit.

I think this is mid-table fodder, but at least it is balanced. Last season's outfit were awful to manage, and at least I have the equal most money left.

I couldn't give a rat's arse about the other teams.

This year's team name - Challenger, Hindenburg, Titanic, Last Season. Let the disaster begin.

No comments: